A city that is long overdue for a recap, Asheville, has become one of my favorite cities in the world in the past year or so. Breathe in once and you will feel the mountain air cleansing you. As cliche as this may sound, walking through the forest and frolicking downtown fills my heart and mind with such clarity. A town once plagued by highway development and sprawl is slowly starting to reclaim it’s dense, mixed-use city center again, and there is no lack of restaurants or breweries as a result. I have been to Asheville three times now and each time it has become more cemented as somewhere that feels a little bit like home.
- Sampling brews at one of the many breweries in the area (Asheville has more breweries per capita than any other city in America). Some of my favorites include Catawba, Twin Leaf, Green Man, Wicked Weed, and New Belgium.
- Grabbing doughnuts at Vortex in the mornings before a hike- they even have vegan options that are absolutely incredible.
- Breakfast at Sunny Point never disappoints, just make sure to get there early or late in the day to avoid crowds.
- Driving and/or hiking on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Go in the Fall for an extra treat seeing the leaves changing.
- A day spent at the Biltmore Estate is well worth it, and if you’re lucky you might get to see the sunflower fields blooming in Antler Hill Village once you finish up!!