There is something about being in a dense, well-connected city that gives me a sense of freedom like nothing else in this world. When I emerge from the train, I am greeted by opportunities around every corner and people wherever I turn. To me, the best part about Chicago is that not only is it urban, but there is so much natural beauty as well. Between the stunning parks, the vast Lake Michigan, and the glistening Chicago River, there are examples of the Earth’s splendor all throughout the city.
Some of the best parts of Chicago are the neighborhoods and subsections of the city outside of “The Loop”, or the main downtown area. In Lincoln Park you will find a free zoo, open year round. In Wicker Park you can access The 606, a new rail to trails project great for runners, bicyclists, and walkers alike. Off of the Southport stop of the Brown Line train, you can find tons of shopping and local flavors at restaurants such as Corridor and Provisions.
I feel that after living here for a summer and visiting countless times that while I have the fresh eyes of still being a visitor, I also have enough experience to give a few tips & tricks. So with that, check out my list of must do items if or when you visit this fabulous city….
- Visit Cindy’s Rooftop for an amazing view year-round + incredible food & drinks (their brunch is my personal favorite)
- Rent Divvy Bikes for the day and ride either along the Lakefront or the 606 Trail (or do both!)
- Check out the Lincoln Park Zoo, the Shedd Aquarium, and the Art Institute
- Attend Lollapalooza to see countless incredible bands and artists, and frolic during the best time of the year in Chi
- Take the architecture boat tour (even locals say it’s not to miss)
- If you can swing it, go see Hamilton while it’s still showing at the Private Bank Theatre
- Sip fancy cocktails and take in the atmosphere of The Violet Hour in Wicker Park
- Go see a Cubs game if they’re playing while you’re there
- & Lastly, find your own unique spots that make Chi Town feel like home.. There’s something for everyone and it all starts with adventuring outside your comfort zone. You got this!